Self-care is important all year round but between finishing projects, studying for finals, and preparing for the holidays, it can be easy for it to fall through the cracks this time of year. Now that winter break is here, take the time to re-invest in yourself through self-care. Remember self-care doesn’t have to be time consuming, fancy, or expensive. Here are some simple ways you can practice self care:
- Sleep in or go to bed early. This is a great time to get into the habit of making sure you’re getting a full 8 hours.
- Spend more time on a hobby, or pick up a new one.
- Whether through walking, yoga, or working out, getting up and moving is a great way to practice self-care. There’s plenty of free apps you can use to get started from the comfort of your own home.
- Need more ideas? Check out these 50 ways to start practicing self-care.
Despite being self-care, this isn’t something you have to do alone. Many people experience increased feelings of isolation during winter. Take advantage of the time off from school and spend quality time with those closest to you. There are so many places to go in Metro-Detroit area that you can explore including:
- Ice skating at an outdoor rink is a fun activity for all ages. The Rink at Campus Martius Park gives a great view of the Detroit skyline and Christmas tree. You can skate for free at Riley Park Ice Rink in downtown Farmington, they even have skates you can borrow free of charge!
- Kwanzaa Celebration: The Charles H. Wright Museum will be celebrating Kwanzaa on December 29th from 5 PM – 9 PM with vendors and a formal program.
- Check out local holiday light displays.
- Go to Belle Isle for a self-guided holiday stroll, complete
Finally, after taking some time to decompress and enjoy not thinking about school, take advantage of this time to set yourself up for success in the upcoming semester.
- Clean out your backpack and organize notes from the semester that you might want to reference later.
- Sort through files on your computer to delete any clutter and organize what you want to keep.
- Review your classes and textbook lists for the upcoming semester and make sure you have everything you’ll need.
Check out our previous blog for more ideas on how to Make the Most of Winter Break.