HEERF were allocated to provide emergency cash grants for college students impacted by the coronavirus outbreak. The student designated funds are intended to provide aid to students for expenses like course materials, technology, housing, food, health care, and childcare.
MSP estimated that 145 students may meet the requirements to be eligible to apply for the HEERF grant. 49 eligible students applied, and all were awarded.
MSP received these funds after signing and submitting the HEERF Certification and Agreement to the Department of Education (ED). Under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act MSP awarded 100% of the total funds received (inclusive of the $21,969 for student emergency grants and $21,968 of institutional CARES Act funding) to provide emergency financial aid grants directly to students. Application for the CARES Act HEERF emergency grant funds was made available to students on May 1, 2020 with initial award determination following May 15, 2020. The entire federal HEERF allocation was disbursed to students on May 27, 2020. Funds were awarded based on the following considerations:
- Availability of funding
- Processed FAFSA results received by MSP
- Eligibility to participate in programs under Section 484 of the HEA
- Student need as determined from their CARES HEERF emergency grant application
- Additional supporting documentation of need (optional)
- Estimated Family Contribution (from FAFSA results)
- Other financial strength indicators (from FAFSA results)