The IT Support Specialist is responsible for providing timely frontline assistance for faculty, staff and students as well as technology support and troubleshooting for classrooms and the MSP Clinic. Key responsibilities of this position include responding to a variety of support requests in-person or remotely; performing technical troubleshooting; workstation builds/rebuilds; installing operating systems; software/hardware installs; patching systems and protecting against viruses/malware; and troubleshooting peripheral and mobile devices. Responsibilities include acting as first responder to all requests and ensuring timely resolution; installing and updating basic hardware/software and network systems; creating accounts and configuring software/hardware; administering printers, copiers, faxes, and scanners; training staff on basic software and equipment; creating and/or updating documentation/guidelines for various systems and procedures; communicating technical concepts in common terms to ensure understanding by all audiences. This position reports to the Director of Information Technology & Campus Security.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides timely, appropriate and knowledgeable responses to end user issues; creates a welcoming atmosphere for users to ask questions and share concerns.
- Troubleshoot and resolve problems involving all computing resources such as hardware (Macs & PCs, multi-function printers, and networking equipment) and software applications (MS Office, Office365, Google Workspace, Adobe Suite, student and library database support, etc).
- Serves as a backup or additional support for the Director of Information Technology.
- Provides some support around servers, the phone system, printers, etc.
- Sets up and images laptops, PC’s, and mobile devices. Assists with network
administration by granting software access and directory rights for users if needed.
- Conducts appropriate one-on-one formal and informal training sessions for computer users; creates learning materials to support training.
- Provide classroom media support, which includes faculty training, assistance, configuration & maintenance of audio-visual hardware (and, as appropriate, computer hardware & software); and coordinating operational checks of classroom technology systems.
- Assist the Director in the administration/documentation and establishment of plans, policies, and procedures.
- Assist in the technology needs during college events such as Commencement, Guest Speakers, Board of Trustee Meetings, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Capable of providing customer focused end-user support and training with patience and consideration of others.
- Ability to analyze, identify, troubleshoot, prioritize and resolve a wide range of technical problems.
- Strong organizational and time management skills including the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and individually manage a changing workload and schedule.
- Strong technical skills in the configuration, installation, and troubleshooting of Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, Microsoft Office Suite, email and web clients, Antivirus software, as
well as experience in troubleshooting peripherals (printers, scanners) and handheld devices (mobile, tablets, etc).
- Knowledge of desktop security and standards (security/networking) and desktop encryption best practices.
- Working knowledge of local area networks and network administration.
- Associates Degree in Computer Science, Computer Technology OR a related field of study preferred; or comparable experience and coursework
- Two years of IT desktop support or related IT experience, including hardware, software, web- applications service desk, and/or other end-user products and systems. Work
experience in an educational setting preferred. Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of related education and required work experience.
The IT Support Specialist is a full-time, 40 hours per week position; some evening or occasional weekend work may be required. Work is performed in-person; this is not a remote position.
Medium physical activity that may include lifting, and connecting technology equipment up to 50 pounds.
Salary: from $45,000.00 per year
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement benefits
COVID-19 vaccinations are required for all Michigan School of Psychology (MSP) employees and students.
MSP is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer.
How to apply
Send a letter of interest with a brief description of relevant experience, resume, and three references to: MSP HR Department – [email protected]
Review of Applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
MSP appreciates all who express an interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Michigan School of Psychology, an independent not-for-profit graduate school, provides an educational climate which inspires students to live up to their potential, professionally and personally. At MSP we believe in every person’s power to grow. Our mission is to educate psychologists today who will transform our world tomorrow. MSP is committed to diversity, inclusion and educational equity. The Michigan School of Psychology is founded on three core values: (1) We respect every person. Period. (2) We value genuine relationships. (3) We practice what we teach. The school was founded in 1980 as the Center for Humanistic Studies, during the humanistic movement under the leadership of its founders. Please visit our website for more information about the Michigan School of Psychology.
The Michigan School of Psychology is located in Farmington Hills, Michigan, a suburb in Metro Detroit. Housed on a wooded, six-acre campus, MSP was created specifically to generate a learning climate that reflects the school’s mission and its emphasis on growth and potential. The carefully designed facilities offer open and welcoming surroundings that foster collaborative education.